Wednesday 13 August 2008

Orthodontic treatment watch - Aug 8

On Friday 8 August I had my upper Incognito lingual appliance fitted by Paul Ward. (Apparently less movement is required on my lower teeth so the lower one will be fitted in November.) The appointment went very smoothly. My only concerns were about how it was going to feel afterwards and if it would show at all. Paul reassured me that apart from the slight discomfort of keeping my mouth open during treatment, so the brackets bonded to my teeth properly in a dry environment, I would feel nothing. He was right. In fact, I nearly fell asleep!

I was expecting some discomfort in my teeth over the weekend (it’s been likened to having a headache in your teeth?). So I armed myself with pain-killers and waited for my teeth to start hurting - but they didn’t! Well not enough to bother me. So far, so good.

What I have found difficult - is talking. But I have been reassured that the more I talk the quicker my tongue will get used to the brace. (So now no one can say I talk too much, I've been advised to on medical grounds!)

I’ve had one or two ulcers on my tongue - easily relieved by the Orthosil wax Paul gave me to mould over the brackets which are causing irritation. Eating has been a bit of a challenge, but I’m getting used to what I can and can’t eat and how to eat it (trying not to make this an excuse for Ben & Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake).

Today (Monday) is day 3 and I am now beginning to become accustomed to my appliance. I can already see movement in the teeth and I am delighted that no-one can see that I’m having orthodontic treatment. Paul Ward showed me a model of what my teeth will look like at the end of treatment and it gave me a goal to work towards. I’m so excited that in about a year’s time I will have the smile I’ve always wanted.

Alison
Practice Manager

No comments: