Monday 3 August 2009

Orthodontics for everyone.


Of course, I have talked to Alison, our Practice Manager at Longborough, about her orthodontic treatment and I follow her blog. I have been interested to hear about her experience and also her views on the treatment. One of her blog posts was entitled "It's never too late" and this is exactly how I feel so I have taken the plunge!

I had my teeth straightened when I was a teenager and I remember how painful and embarrassing it was. In those days it was not the ‘norm’ to have fixed braces and certainly not cool as a 16 year old. However, after the treatment, my teeth looked better and I was pleased.

Having now worked in the Dental Profession for over 30 years, I knew that my teeth could still be improved in many ways and so in April I took the exciting decision to start with some more orthodontic work. It is all so different and so much easier than last time. The fixed appliance moves everything very gently, the brackets are very discreet, the orthodontist is very gentle and my teeth are already moving!

Taking care of the appliance is very easy, I even managed a week in the Algarve just 2 days after it was fitted. The only slight niggle is that I have had the veneer taken off my upper incisor so at the moment I have a very brown tooth showing but it will look perfect when everything is finished. So if you see me smiling with my brown tooth you will understand.

I feel very lucky that I am having this treatment, it makes me feel young and I am really looking forward to my new smile. My 16-year-old daughter however is mortified that her mum has a brace and walks a few paces behind me!


Janet Scott
Longborough Dental Hygiene Therapist


Janet is undergoing her treatment with a ceramic orthodontic appliance. Ceramic braces are made of translucent (clear) high quality ceramic material with brackets that are virtually invisible. They are a practical and effective option because they are cosmetically less obvious than traditional metal braces, cost less than a lingual brace and are are easy to adapt to.